Featured Post

My Fancy Pants Scrap Quilt (La Passacaglia)

Practice layouts for Rosettes before I knew anything. The fabric pull for La Passacaglia Family crafting on the trip home from...

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Fuzzy Memories- T-shirt quilts for the novice


I designed this quilt pattern after giving many lectures on making t-shirt quilts. I discovered that the majority of people who wanted to make these quilts were not quilters and many really didn't sew much at all.

This design is based on a 6" square so it is very easy to design. It is made with flannels and homespun fabrics which are loosely woven. The edges are left unfinished and clipped after sewing. When the quilt is washed the edges have a chenille like appearance.

I suggest using flannel as the batting too. Some patterns for this type of quilt have you cutting a piece of batting just large enough to be caught in the seams. The problem with this is that many times the batting doesn't get caught in the seam and when it is washed you get a blob of batting in your square.


This is also a fun idea for a baby blanket. I do have patterns for the Fuzzy Memories quilt available.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Aileen,

    It's Kim [Faulk] from Wood River High School. I love you blog. I have a 20+ year collection of martial arts t-shirts from all the workshops I've attended and have been wondering what to do them. I love your how-to steps to make the memory quilts. This is great for me because I've not ever quite figured out how I get started.
    It's been fun to see what you're up to. Thanks for sharing.

    Kim

    ReplyDelete