Featured Post

My Fancy Pants Scrap Quilt (La Passacaglia)

Practice layouts for Rosettes before I knew anything. The fabric pull for La Passacaglia Family crafting on the trip home from...

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

An interesting new technique-Raggedy Reverse Applique


While I was sewing today, I was having trouble with the tension on my sewing machine so I went to visit my favorite sewing machine repairman, Joe. He is in South Elgin, check out his store at www.sewingunlimited.net. Well, I had the wrong size needle for the thread I was using...it has obviously been too long since I was in the sewing room!
I found a great book : Raggedy Reverse Applique by Kim Deneault, published by Krause Publications. Anyway, I have always liked the raggedy look and this looked like a technique that I could use in a t-shirt quilt. I decided to make one of the pillows in the book to get an idea of how the technique works. The first step is to trace a design on tracing paper, stack three pieces of fabric on top of each other and sew around the design. Once this is done, either one or two layers of fabric are cut out.

Slits are cut in the seams to make the fabric ravel when it is washed. I think it is an interesting look and I cant wait to figure out how to use it in a T-shirt quilt. Stay tuned!



1 comment:

  1. Nice Information. Thank you for sharing and I want to share information about Somethingdifferentlinen. It offers the very best in milliken fabric, linen, tble linen, table cloth, napery, milliken napkins and linen napkins.

    ReplyDelete