Featured Post

My Fancy Pants Scrap Quilt (La Passacaglia)

Practice layouts for Rosettes before I knew anything. The fabric pull for La Passacaglia Family crafting on the trip home from...

Thursday, August 6, 2009

My first Remembrance quilt





In 2000 I was working at Stiches n Stuffing, a quilt store in Naperville, IL. I had been making quilts for friends and family for years. While working at the quilt store I discovered that there were people out there who didn't have a quilter in their lives. Sooo sad! Since I was running out of people to give quilts to, I thought...maybe I could make them for strangers! I set to work and designed a quilt, kept track of all the time and materials that went in to it and finally came up with a price per square foot. Now I was stuck, how would people know that I would provide this service? Well, not long after I figured the price out, I happened to answer the phone at the store and it was a man who needed a couple of quilts made. Of course this was my cue so I gulped and said I made quilts. He needed two quilts, one for each of his young sons. His wife had died the year before of breast cancer and he was moving, cleaning out closets and had two piles of her clothes that he wanted to be made into quilts.

No comments:

Post a Comment